A Delightful Collection of Humorous Observations
4 out of 5 stars
I recently had the pleasure of diving into the audiobook We’re All In This Together by the talented comedian Tom Papa. As a long-time fan of his stand-up, I was thrilled to embark on this comedic journey. Similar to his previous works (one of which I reviewed, Your Dad Stole My Rake), this book is a delightful collection of things that bother him as he goes through life, interspersed with his signature observational humor.
However, I must admit that I didn’t laugh as uproariously as I usually do during Papa’s stand-up routines. There’s a subtle difference in delivery between his live performances and the audiobook format, and the absence of a live audience’s laughter might contribute to this disparity. Nevertheless, this doesn’t take away from the book’s humor; rather, it transforms it into a written, extended version of his stand-up that allows for more introspection and reflection.
Despite the slight difference in comedic impact (and don’t get me wrong, I was still laughing), We’re All In This Together remains an enjoyable experience. Papa’s knack for finding hilarity in life’s mundane aspects shines through every chapter. His sharp wit and relatable anecdotes bring a smile to the listener’s face, even if the laughter doesn’t quite reach its usual peak.
On the whole, I found “We’re All In This Together” to be a delightful addition to Tom Papa’s repertoire. Nevertheless, I wholeheartedly recommend this audiobook to fans of Papa’s work and anyone seeking a dose of laughter and light-heartedness. I eagerly anticipate his future releases and look forward to immersing myself in more of Tom Papa’s comedic brilliance.
This program is read by the author.
Stand-up is all well and good, but observational humor that’s funny and warm may work best in books. And Tom Papa, whose loyal audiences are packed with “date night” couples of all ages, has perfected the form.
In We’re All In This Together, Papa’s thirty-seven short essays tackle these universal American topics, among others:
- Love for Your First Car (“To Buy or Lease”)
- The Truth about Personal Hygiene (“How You Know When It’s Time to Go”)
- Date Nights (“Will You Go Out with Me?”)
- Unfamiliar Hotel Rooms (“Why Nothing Works”)
- Pets (“Cats–Ancient Menace”)
- Drinking (“There’s no Cure for a Hangover”)
- Ducking your Family, even Though you Love Them (“The Lesson of Mark Twain’s Cigars”)
Tom Papa’s books make people laugh, but–crucially–feel better about themselves while doing it. And while there’s thematic overlap with Papa’s stand-up, with a couple of exceptions, all the writing here is fresh for our book.
A Macmillan Audio production from St. Martin’s Press.
We're All In This Together by Tom Papa
Narrator: Tom Papa
Length: 7 hrs and 10 mins
Published by Macmillan Audio on June 6th 2023
Buy from Audible
Also by this author: Your Dad Stole My Rake And Other Family Dilemmas
- No Rules of Engagement by Tracey Richardson (Narrated by Joana Garcia) - September 28, 2023
- Love at First Set by Jennifer Dugan (Narrated Narrated by Lori Prince) - September 26, 2023
- New and Notable Audiobook Releases for the Week of September 23rd on Brian’s Book Blog - September 23, 2023